Sunday, June 20, 2010

Europe Day Picnic!




I was looking through some old pictures on my computer when I saw some from Europe Day (May 9). I have a friend who has unusual passions. Like the Althing. And the European Union.

He wanted to celebrate Europe Day, so I organized a Europe Day-themed potluck picnic with a group of our friends. We all chose a country from the European Union and brought a dish that corresponded to the country.

Perhaps we weren’t terribly accurate with food choices and we based a lot of our decisions upon stereotypes. But it was a lot of fun, and very delicious.

On my plate you can see, starting clockwise from the salad: regular salad with my favorite fresh ginger dressing, mushroom galette from France, ratatouille also from France, flatbread from Greece, and some spanakopita which suffered in transit, also from Greece. One friend also made a pasta with ragù, which isn't shown. I loved it but he didn't.

I made the mushroom galette with a recipe from Smitten Kitchen. It was absolutely delicious and probably the most popular thing there. The crust was flaky and tender but with a crunch to the outside without being tough. Since then, I've made the galette twice but I always replace half the blue cheese with parmesan because I don't like blue cheese in strong doses.

The picnic was at Volunteer Park, and while we were there one of my friends noticed this:



which amazed me because I had never heard of such a thing. A rainbow around the sun! Apparently, they are called sun dogs and I might never see one again because I don't make it a habit to stare into the sun.

We are planning another themed picnic for this week. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment