Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Adoration For EGGS BENEDICT




When I was younger, my absolute favorite food was dumplings. But only the kind my father made. It was one of the first things that I learned to make, and one day I will post a recipe for it.


But what I really want to talk about today is eggs benedict. I adore eggs benedict. It is the perfect food. It is unhealthy, and rich. It is crunchy and soft and tender and creamy. It is slightly sour (from the lemon in the hollandaise sauce) and salty and buttery.


I love it best when the English muffin has been toasted slightly, so that it is crunchy on the outside, but still very tender on the inside. I like the ham lightly fried, so that it is only very slightly crisp. I like the egg poached so that all of the whites are cooked (gooey whites disgust me completely) but the yolks are still creamy and liquid. And I like the hollandaise sauce when the lemon is very apparent and can cut through the richness, but not overpoweringly so.



I think that the place that makes the best eggs benedict in Seattle is Glo’s, in Capitol Hill. Admittedly, there are often long lines with many hipsters and the service can be slow.


But.


Their eggs benedict is everything that I’ve described. And they have hashed browns that are deliciously crisp where the potatoes have fried, but also soft in the other areas.


I meant to get a picture of when I cut through the eggs benedict, but I was so hungry that I gobbled it down before I could remember anything as mundane as picture-taking. What isn’t mundane when compared with delicious, glorious eggs benedict?


I did order this one with bacon because I craved bacon and I wanted something extra crisp. But I regretted it and wanted the ordinary Canadian bacon.


I love eggs benedict. I do.


P.S. Isn’t that couple on the left hand side cute, in that picture? I often wonder what I look like in all the pictures that people must accidentally take of me. I wish I could look through all of them one day. I bet you that in most of them, my face is probably oddly contorted as I’m talking or thinking.


Also, tomorrow I am flying off to Las Vegas to visit my family. I'm pretty excited. I haven't seen them since December and I am going to eat so much food! All of it junk!


1 comment:

  1. Eek! I love it too. Always remember it as a "fancy" brunch treat. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete